Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I'm aging.

There's no denying it.

More often on our walks, I sit down and I don't want to move for awhile.

Sometimes, I lie down in the grass to rest.

My joints ache when I get up in the morning, and when I rise up after a nap.

I sleep more, and like to go to bed earlier than before.

My snout is more gray, and there are gray hairs showing up on my ears and belly now.

If I run, I'm sore for a few days afterward.

Lesli's taking me for xrays this week so they can try to figure out why I walk so slowly, limp sometimes, and have taken to lying down for rests on our strolls. They'll try medications or whatever to ease any discomfort I'm having because of getting older.

But the reality is, I'm a nine year old German shepherd - not a puppy anymore. So I'm going to show signs of age.

As hard as it is for my human to accept, I'm not going to live forever. My life will be shorter than hers, and she cannot stop it. I'll continue to slow down. Our walks will become strolls - they'll be shorter but take just as long as they used to when we covered miles and miles of territory. I won't run as much - and when I do run, I'll pay for it. My joy in life will take on more of a quiet grace than reckless abandon. Sleep will become more precious and common to me.

All of that is ok - the way it's supposed to be.

I wish I could tell her it's ok. I'm grateful to her for her continued efforts to make me comfortable - but really, all I need is healthy food, plenty of time to rest, some nice strolls with different scenery and smells to enjoy and the steady companionship and love I've come to count on with her.

With that, we'll both be just fine.

1 comment:

Nancy Goldman said...

I love that your human has helped you have your own blog. I have a sheperd/rotty mix who is your age and experiencing many of your same age problems. He seems very happy though, as you are.