Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Just when I thought we were finished with hot, humid weather, we were hit with a rainy, super humid day yesterday. Not good on the old bones!

We got the xray results at the vet. Turns out, my spondylosis has spread to about two thirds of my back, from my shoulders to tailbone. The vertebrae have bridged mid-back (which makes me stiff) but have yet to bridge near my tailbone (which makes me hurt). My one hip is awesome - in great shape, as are my neck, elbows and knees. My other hip has some dysplasia, but it's not horrific. The doctor said that, if she didn't see any dysplasia in a nine year old GSD, she would have been shocked.

That explains the soreness.

Great news is that she doesn't want the human to limit my activity. I need to keep my muscles strong - we just have to learn to listen to my body (ok, I have to learn to listen to my body and refrain from following my basic instinct to run after things when I'm sore).

Kind of a drag to be dealing with spondylosis, but, it is what it is.

The human is trying cartophen shots to see if that helps my discomfort and, if that doesn't work, we'll move on to Metacam. I still get delicious fish oil on my food every day for the Omega 3s too!

I was limping a lot this weekend after a lot of running at Bronte, so we took it easy on the walks.

Made for a rather boring weekend.

No comments: