Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Storm: Goddess of the Hunt

I walked out the door this morning at 5:30 ready for action and looking for prey. My ears were straight up and listening. My tail was straight up and telling everyone that I rule. And my eyes were focused. First they focused on the patch of grass across from our driveway where the baby bunny has been most mornings. I looked...I walked cautiously and quietly...but he wasn't there today. So I moved to my next hunting area - down the street, second site of many close calls with a bunny. Another baby. Not too bright. I've been close. Only the leash saved it. He wasn't there either.

On we walked. Stopped for a pee...then chased a squirrel who was on a telephone wire above me.

You heard me right.

He was in the air. I was on the ground. Following him. Like the great hunter I am. Growling and stalking him from below.

You may think I haven't got a hope in hell of catching a squirrel on a phone line. You have the right to your opinion.

We moved along on our morning hunt. Saw Mr. Bunny; she wouldn't let me pursue him, even though I really wanted to. (she wants to pet the bunnies; I want to eat them...we clearly have little hope of finding common ground in the bunny department)

Not long after we saw Mr. Bunny, I was just too hot to hunt anymore.

It has been brutal. Hot, humid, sunny.

On the bright side, I've had plenty of swims in the lake across the street lately, and I have an excuse for being uber-lazy.

But I'm looking forward to fall...

No comments: