Wednesday, July 25, 2007

What a Morning Walk!

Our walk this morning was a blast! Things were quiet until we got to Mr. Bunny's spot. Usually he's pretty far back in the grass - close enough to see well, but not so close that I ever have a hope in hell of catching him. But this morning, he was right beside the path. We must have both been daydreaming, because in an instant, there we were - face to face. He ran like crazy and stopped, and I took off like a shot, almost pulling Lesli over with me (man, it hurts when I do that with a prong collar on, but sometimes it's worth the pain). I was soooooooooooo close to getting him!

Next was a huge hawk, sitting on a fence on Burloak. Right there, on someone's front yard fence. It was huge. We both stood still for a few seconds to watch it. Lesli was just in awe...and I was contemplating how I would climb that fence to get it. It flew away, and we continued.

At the lake, we saw a pair of swans and their four babies. I figured, with four kids surviving, those swans must be pretty good at defending them...I used my head for once and stayed away from them. We walked a bit further, to our usual morning lookout point, and saw a heron there. So, we stopped to watch the heron. Lesli was in front of me, I was still behind her - and I suddenly heard movement on the rocks behind me. Thinking it was likely a squirrel, I turned - and stared at this thing just a couple of feet away from me. I couldn't figure out what the hell it was - had never seen one before. It came up onto the rocks by me, checked things out, sniffed around for a few seconds, then left before I had the chance to fully assess the situation and go after it.

Turns out it was a river otter!

SO many potential meals on our walk this morning!!

No comments: