Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Tail of Forbidden Love

Hey everyone.

I spent a great weekend at dog camp while Lesli went to Ford & Bonnie’s cottage up north. She dropped me off with Tracy and Wendy early Saturday morning. I put on usual show to make Lesli feel guilty about leaving me but as soon as she pulled away I started to party, and didn’t stop until she picked me up.

After we got our greetings out of the way, she said we needed to have a talk, about my cousin Griffin.

Griffin was, of course, at the cottage this weekend. He’s Ford & Bonnie’s five year old yellow lab. I hear he’s nice. We haven’t met. I’ve smelled him – stayed at his place one night last December while he was away. He smelled like a cool dog.

When Lesli got to the cottage, Bonnie told her about Griffin’s friend Charlie. Said that Charlie and Griffin visit each other, look almost identical, that they’re great buds.

Charlie is a yellow lab, a year younger than Griffie. He lives two cottages over.

They met when Charlie first showed up in the ‘hood, and started hanging out. Found they had a lot in common.

They started wandering over to each other’s cottages. Playing with sticks together. Wrestling on the dock. Sitting on the dock sniffing the world as it goes by.

When Griffin kissed Charlie, no one thought anything of it. Even when the two buds were busted, uh, “cleaning” each other, everyone chalked it up to normal dog behaviour.

But when Ford and Bonnie came home one rainy afternoon to find Griffin and Charlie watching Brokeback Mountain, they knew…this was a special dog friendship.

This was love.

Lesli says you can see it when they’re together.

Even when Bad Charlie moved into the territory between their cottages and starting attacking them because of their forbidden love, the two dogs found a way to be together – risking their lives and necks to pass through Bad Charlie’s territory just to see each other.

The Romeo and Juliet of the Trent Severn Waterway.

So, I guess Griffin and I are never gonna hook up. Which is ok. I like German shepherds better anyway. And Griffin and Charlie make a great couple.

No comments: