Thursday, June 7, 2007

Respect Your Elders

This is something we dogs live by. And if some young kid forgets it, we teach them. In no uncertain terms.

Lesli dropped me off at my favourite camp this morning. She has to go to a conference this weekend, so I'm spending the weekend at the kennel. I love this place. I love Tracy - she's a great alpha dog to all of us. Tracy and Wendy have a farm with a big fenced play area for us to hang out in. We all sleep together in a big family room at night. It's a blast.

When we got there this morning, another dog had just been dropped off. He looked a bit like me, but I could tell he was younger. He was inside the fence with Tracy. He went into territorial protection mode when we arrived. I just ignored it and headed toward the horses. I wanted to give them a piece of my mind.

Lesli tried to get me to go into the fenced area, with Barky going at it. No way in hell. I dug in.

So, she put a treat into her hand to lure me in.

It worked.

Except there was no treat. She tricked me.

But I was inside the fence with Tracy and Barky.

Barky sniffed me, tried to make himself look bigger by throwing his hackles up. I let him sniff me. No big deal. I sniffed him. Determined he was still a puppy. Maybe about a year old.

Lesli and Barky's owner stood by their cars on the other side of the fence, talking with Tracy.

Next thing I know, Barky's giving me attitude. Up close.

Uh, I don't THINK so.

So we went at it. Full on. Teeth bared. Growling. I let him know this is not how you treat your elders. And if you try it, you will suffer for it.

Tracy just watched us. I guess she knew we weren't likely going to bite each other.

It took him awhile to get the message. But he did.

He started licking my mouth. Showing me the respect I deserve.

Smart guy.

These are the lessons we dogs all end up learning. If we're lucky. Otherwise, we end up in a lot of trouble down the road.

My dad had to bite me to get the lesson through to me. Believe me, I got it then.

And I think Barky got it today.

No comments: