Sunday, September 21, 2008

A very long hike

We got lost today on the trail. Lesli and I went up to a part of the Bruce Trail we haven't hiked in about five years. Used to be, there was a loop.

Not anymore.

The trail's got a lot of hills and we like it because it's rugged, not packed with people and it makes us work hard. For my part, I'm a big fan of the multitudes of squirrels and chipmunks. I can sometimes go off leash if no one is around and we're not near any private property, and then I love to chase furry rodents all through the forest.

Today, I was pretty excited when we arrived. There were a bunch of little black hoppy, chirpy things on the entrance path. I stopped to investigate them, tried to eat a couple, but they kept hopping away. We hit the trail and I had so much fun, going up and down hills, chasing chipmunks, playing in little streams.

After about an hour, I noticed the human start to get agitated. We kept walking but I could tell she wasn't happy. Still, we walked. Through corn fields, past a small lake (I got to swim!) and on and on and on and on. We heard traffic, and the human's spirits appeared to rise. She thought maybe it was Guelph Line, the street we parked on. We came to the street, saw a ladder that would take us over a low fence (just like the one we went over at the entrance to the trail) and thought, um, that's great, a ladder...but what the hell is that street?

It was Cedar Springs Road. Long story short - NOT good news for two tired girls. The human didn't even have water, and we had to turn around and hike all the way back the way we came. At least I had little streams to drink from. She was a bit grumpy for the first ten minutes, then we both just gave in and faced our fate. We were exhausted, she was thirsty, and we were in for a long, hard hike.

The moment we finally saw the ladder that signaled we were almost at the end, we were both elated. And then, we saw it. OUR CAR!!! OMG! Finally. I could barely climb into my seat. The human got in and downed a whole bottle of water. She headed straight for Second Cup, and I headed straight to the back seat for a serious rest.

I've been antsy all day since then. You'd think I would be unconscious. But nooooooooooo. I've had work to do - sparrows to bark at, squirrels to chase out of our yard.

I'm going to sleep VERY well tonight.

No comments: