Saturday, October 20, 2007

Something evil lurks...

We both saw it - something small, scurrying to the rocks as we walked toward the cove across the street. It's the spot we go to every morning to finish our walk. It looks out over Lake Ontario - really a beautiful spot. We see geese, herons, swans, Bert the river otter. We see sunrises and fog, high waves in windy days, hoards of water fowl huddled in the cove to escape the wind.

I don't know what it was we saw this morning. I think it was too small to be Bert. It ran into the rocks, and we followed it. I sniffed around - it was there - I focused on it, with my tail high and my ears pointing straight to where it was while I listened to what it was doing. I sniffed and sniffed - then all of a sudden, the damned thing made a ridiculous sound from under the rock. I jumped straight into the air, backed up...carefully moved forward again. But whatever it was, it was clear neither of us was going to get a look at it. We walked further and checked out the geese and ducks etc.

On our way back, we stopped at the spot once more to see if the thing was still there. We both peered into the rocks. Couldn't see anything. But my nose told me it was still there. So I got closer to get a better sniff. And, BAM - that loud hissing sound shot out at me again. All four paws into the air, human laughing at me.

I had to walk away from whatever evil little monster was hiding under that rock.

But I'll be back. And you can bet, I'll head straight for that spot tomorrow to see if the noisy jerk is still there.

No comments: