Thursday, December 6, 2007

Good News - and Very Bad News

The good news is that I had a great time with Auntie Alypoo! Tuesday night, we went for a drive and ended up back at that place we were at when we drove away from my human. This time, as we drove closer, I saw her again! She was there! I started to bark and cry, she was out on a platform crying and people were laughing at us. When she got into the car, I smothered her with Boo kisses and then went back to sleep (I'd had a particularly crazy romp in the snow earlier that day and was very tired).

The bad news is something my human told me last night. My mentor, the dog who really was like my mom, is gone. Bristol died while Lesli was away. She was getting old - I've written about it here. But that doesn't prepare you for losing the dog who helped raise you, who was your best dog friend ever.

Bristol was incredible. When we first met, I was tiny, only seven weeks old. She took me into her den and took care of me. We went to the vet together when I was about eight weeks old, and she cried and fretted when the vet was examining me.

She taught me how to do an effective dishwasher pre-wash.

She taught me how to protect the house and bark at the door.

She taught me how to be brave.

She humped me. A lot.

She humped my head. She humped my ribs. We'd fall over while she humped me, and she would just keep going.

It was her way of reminding me that she was boss. Better than attacking me - which was her preferred method with other dogs!

She was a special combination of strength and sweetness.

My grandma adopted Bristol when she was young. She had been found foraging for food, and was a mess. Grandma took her in, and they had a very hard first year. Bristol was a real handful. She had been scarred by her experiences. But time and patience cemented the relationship, and grandma, Uncle Adam and Bristol became a close family. Then mom moved home from California, and she and Bristol became very close. My human loves her beyond words. That's why she got a German shepherd. Cali made her want a dog...Bristol made her come looking for me.

When Adam moved out and grandma married Grandpa Brian, Bristol got to move to a great place. She went to Kincardine, and had a huge yard she could run in, patrol and chase squirrels and chipmunks and rabbits in. It was perfect for her. I would say the second half of her life was pretty much as good as it gets. She deserved that. I remember early one summer, my human and I stayed with Bristol while her humans were in Chicago. We had a perfect week. We'd spend time outside, then come in for a pack nap. Then go back outside. We played. We cuddled. And, I'm going to admit, we all slept together in the guest bed. A human and two German shepherds. Bristol was the first one up on the bed, too. She loved it.

Grandma and Grandpa Brian were with Bristol when she died. My human told me last night how much she admires grandma for that. She has had to make this painful decision before with pets she loved, and found it was too hard to be there with them while they drew their last breaths. But she was with Bristol. She found the strength, likely drawing it from intense love and loyalty she felt for Bristol, and held her until her very last moments. I am glad that's how she left. She deserved that. She was loyal, loving and steadfast.

I will miss her. My friend, my brave and sweet and loving friend.

No comments: