Friday, August 22, 2008

The baby mouse

Kind of a sad morning for both human and dog today.

Sad for me because I missed out on a meal opportunity.

We had a very good morning walk. Beautiful sunrise, plenty of bunnies out and about, squirrels to chase and pee to smell. I marked a lot of territory, chased a few bunnies and generally had an excellent start to my day.

When we got home, there was something new on the driveway. I stopped to sniff it, the human turned to see what I was sniffing and yanked me away to prevent me from eating whatever it was. She investigated, discovered that it was a teeny gray baby mouse. At first she thought it was dead, but then she noticed it moving.

She held me further away while she went in for a closer look. I assumed that, as pack leader, she had decided to eat it herself.

Instead, she picked the little guy up, walked over to the garden and set him down under a low bush. He was dying. His little eyes were closed, he was moving his legs a bit. He reacted when she picked him up but didn't have the strength to fight. The human laid him on some soft leaves under the bush so he could die in peace.

I wanted to go over and put him out of his misery immediately but she wouldn't let me.

I was sad because I couldn't get the mouse, and she was sad because the mouse was dying.

What a pair we are.

No comments: