Thursday, August 7, 2008

I am a working girl

I'm an east German dog descended from a working line of German shepherds. My prey and work drives are off the charts, so it's important that I am challenged mentally and physically with various jobs. I am happiest when I complete them to the satisfaction of my human.

You may be thinking, well, Storm isn't a police dog, or a guard dog (that's what YOU think), she doesn't do Shutzhund or anything like that. So what the hell does she do to stay occupied and challenged?

I have a number of key roles in our pack, and I take them all very seriously:
  1. Guard the house from intruders
  2. Perform offical dishwasher pre-wash duties
  3. Rid parks across Burlington of squirrels
  4. Guard our car
  5. Guard against horses, cows, sheep or other livestock passed while driving (just in case they get it into their heads to jump into our car)
  6. Ensure the neighbourhood is effectively marked with pee, thus maintaining our claim on the territory
  7. Sit, stay, shake a paw, other paw, speak, bark and come on command
  8. Keep the territory free of birds I perceive to be up to no good
  9. Hunt for food (I primarily focus on rabbits and mice)
  10. Keep the territory free of cats
  11. Keep the floors in the house clean and remove any food particles that may land there
  12. Remove goose poo from lakefront parks in the city

I'm a hard worker - I take each of my jobs very seriously, and perform to the best of my ability. Particularly the dishwasher pre-wash and the goose poo removal. Those are critical.

No comments: