Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What a birthday

I honestly don't know whether my birthday was great or horrible. A bit of both, I would venture to say.

It started off well enough. Nice, cool morning walk. A relaxing ride in the car, after which we ended up in Kincardine. So far so good.

Until I walked into the house. All of a sudden, everyone was all over me because I smell. Like I can help it. I could sense it, my human started to get upset. Next thing I know, I'm on my way to the freakin' vet for my birthday. It was a nice place. The lady behind the counter loved me, in spite of my unique scent, and kept feeding me totally delicious treats. So I thought, hey, this is a pretty cool birthday treat.

Next thing I knew, I was in an exam room. More treats. All good.

Then, I was being led to the back by the vet.

That's when things turned sour.

Literally.

They started goofing around with my anal glands again. OMG, did it hurt. I screamed and yelled and cried. It went on forever. It was horrible. Just horrible. Happy freaking birthday to me, eh?

It finally ended and I ran like hell out of that office (after giving an 11-month old pug a good barking).

Things improved when I got home. The human gave me some steak for my birthday dinner - and, grandma made me my own birthday cake!! It was delicious. I ate it in one bite.

So, all in all, a great birthday and a terrible birthday.

Got some sad news yesterday. My good friend Daisy, who I visited and played with just last weekend, died. She wasn't feeling well when we were there, but her humans took her to the vet and were advised it was likely just age related arthritis. They did blood work, gave her metacam, and within a day of taking the metacam, Daisy was back to her old self, chasing her kong all over the place and crying for people to throw it. But yesterday, her grandpa found her struggling to breathe by the bedroom door. By the time he found the vet information, she was gone. I'm incredibly sad. We loved Daisy a lot. She was only eight, my age, way too young to die. We'll miss her a lot.



No comments: