Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Bird Learns a Valuable Life Lesson

We got home from a hike yesterday, and Lesli let me out into the yard. Suddenly, we heard a commotion in the corner garden. It all happened so fast - something seemed to be flying across the yard, but not very well. I ran to the rose garden, where it seemed to be headed, and it kind of fell down into the gap between the garden and the fence. Meanwhile, these big black birds were making a ton of noise around us. I could not believe my luck...I had this bird cornered. I was trying to get the damned thing in my mouth, when Lesli realized what was going on and grabbed me by the collar and yanked me off. I was so pissed - I was, like, seconds away from catching my prey. You would think she'd be proud.

She pulled me back, and this little bird flew back toward the ferns where we found it. Parents were still on the fence and in the bushes squaking their brains out. Looks like this was this guy's first flight. He seemed drunk. He flew low, from the ferns, and perched on the brick of the house. Then, back to the ferns and - oops - right into the fence.

Lesli watched him for a bit to make sure he was ok.

I got to watch from inside the house. My reward for almost catching us a snack.

She went back out later and he was gone, so it looks like his first flight turned from near disaster to a successful fledge.

We did a ton of walking and hiking yesterday. It was great. Kind of hot - 22 degrees and sunny may be nice for humans, but for a dog with a double black coat...not so nice. I think Lesli and her friend Mike may go get me a pool this week. If they do, I will give them both my famous and patented Storm facial.

Hell, if the RCMP drivers liked it, Lesli and Mike should.

I got to go in the lake this morning! When we got home, I had breakfast and then ran like crazy all over the house! I jumped on the bed and rolled around in the white sheets! It was awesome!!!

No comments: