Monday, May 21, 2007

German shepherd: 0 Chipmunks: 5,000


Ok, let's be a little more realistic here. If I wasn't a dog, and didn't have to rely on Ms. Exaggeration 2007 to type my blog, the title would have been more like:

"German shepherd: Hunting Goddess...Chipmunks: Too many near misses to count"

We went for a long hike this morning at Rattlesnake Point. It was beautiful. Like being in the middle of a sea of green, with birds singing all around us, small white moths floating just above the ground. We went early, so the only sounds we heard were the sounds of the forest. No noisy humans around that early.

But, man, were there chipmunks. Everywhere I turned, chipmunks.

And I chased 'em all. Every last one of them.

Many ended up with a clean getaway (although if it wasn't for the leash, fate might have smiled upon me...).

Some of them ran and chirped like crazy, telling their neighbours that evil approached.

But a few mentally challenged chipmunks - god, was I close.

One ran out from the leaves right under my belly. I was sniffing a plant, and all of a sudden...WHOOSH - out comes this chipmunk! I gave chase, and if my damned shoulders weren't wider than my head (and therefore unable to proceed through the space between the two small trees as easily as my head did...) I would have had this one.

I was stuck for a few seconds before I figured out I could just back up.

The human laughed.

We walked for three hours, and I must have chased a chipmunk every few seconds. It was nirvana.

No comments: