Friday, March 21, 2008

Canine...or Bovine?

One of the things I love most about spring is the fresh, tall grass. It's sweet, it's delicious, and after a long, grassless winter, there are few things more satisfying than munching on those first few blades of spring grass.

The human buys herself fresh cut tulips this time of year as a reminder that winter is going to end and spring is coming.

My reminder?

A nice container of pet grass from Holland Park.

Ohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhh.

I've been noshing on my pet grass for two days.

Humans make jokes about my grass eating. The usual - "are you a cow?", or the slightly more innovative but equally irritating "you're a canine, not a bovine!".

May I remind you that canines are, in fact, omnivores. We are scavengers. We evolved and survived mainly by grabbing whatever we could to eat. When we couldn't catch live prey, we'd happily eat carrion, leaves, plants, whatever. We're not fussy. Surely you've realized that. The fact that you meet all of our nutritional requirements with dog food nowadays doesn't mean our hard-wired need to eat whatever, whenever we get the opportunity has disappeared.

Trust me, we don't work that way. We're not sitting there thinking, you know, I do believe I've met my nutritional requirements for the day, so I'll stop eating now.

Uh-uh.

So when that spring grass shows up, I'm all over it.

In the meantime, while I wait for the snow to melt, occasional gifts of pet grass are much appreciated.

No comments: