Friday, March 28, 2008

Storm and Quinn's Most Excellent Adventure

OMG, am I ever tired! I think today was perhaps the best time I've ever had at Bronte.

It was just me, Cosmo and Quinn walking today. We went through the woods, past the field, and down to the creek that shows up at the off leash area every spring, and dries up eventually. Love that creek - it's perfect for a quick bath, and fun to run through.

I went into the creek and was having myself a little drink and dunk. Quinn was staring at me. The humans commented on that - suggested he was staring me down because he wanted to play. It turns out, however, that Quinn wasn't actually looking at me. He was looking just behind me...to where three deer were standing. Right there, beside the creek, in our off leash area.

Quinn moved toward me, I moved in the creek - and that scared the deer. They moved, I saw them - and we were off.

The deer were fast. So were we. We were out of the humans' sight in seconds, across the fields, past the park office, chasing our huge prey. It was like a dream!

We were no match for the humans (or for the deer, for that matter...they got away eventually). Lesli tried to chase us, but gave up. She walked along the road calling us, thinking there was no way in hell we would come back just because she was calling (correct assumption), but that she could at least give us some sense of where our pack was when we were ready to return.

Diane and Cosmo caught up to her. They asked a guy driving a park truck if he'd seen us, but he hadn't. They asked a couple walking their dogs, but they hadn't seen us either. Lesli handed my leash to Diane and was going to drive around the park in her car while Diane continued the foot search when I came running back to them from the farm area.

I came close to them - was considering going to her and accepting my reward for coming back. But I caught a scent...sniffed the air...and thought, to hell with that - I still have prey to chase. I took off again before finally coming back to the pack and letting them put a leash on me.

My partner in crime stayed away from the pack a bit longer, finally returning a few minutes after I did.

We were like Thelma and Louise, off on a crazy adventure together.

I really need a nap now.

No comments: