Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Storm's having a rotten day

Thought I'd add a picture taken the other day. The human describes it as pure bliss. We had just finished a hard walk at Bronte in all the fresh snow, and I was chilling out in the back yard.

Bliss is right.

Now, to my bad day. It actually started last night. My paw hurts.

I must have pulled something during one of my crazy runs at the park. Or, perhaps it was one of the gazillion times I've slipped on the ice while trying to navigate the horrendous sidewalks in Burlington and Oakville.

I started limping last night, tried to take it easy on the leg, figured it could only get better.

Little did I know.

We did a short walk this morning so there was less risk of me pulling it again, and then she packed me up into the car. And took me to...the vet.

It was annual physical and shots day for me.

Yipee.

Normally it's merely a mild irritation.

But today was no fun at all. When the vet tried to give me a shot in my left hindquarter, it hurt like crazy. I cried out a few times, until the human distracted me with food and the vet finally managed to get the shot done.

Then the vet took me to the back to take blood so they could see how my thyroid is doing (I keep gaining and losing weight, with no real change in my food or activity level). Lesli went out front to wait for me.

She says she heard my scream. It was primal - she knew it was me. She had tears starting.

The vet left me. I heard her go down the hall and say "we need you, mom".

They took me back into the examination room. Two vet techs held me and patted me, and then the vet came in, and then my human came in.

Everyone held me again, while they tried to get the needle into my back leg. No one realized they were trying to take blood from my sore left side - until my human showed up! They were all holding me, and my human said "hey, that's her sore side!"

Yes, Einsteins. No wonder I was screaming, eh??

The technicians switched to my rear left leg, the vet held me at the neck and my human held my face, talking to me in a soft voice about going to Bronte, seeing Diane, Cosmo...ahhhh...relaxing....and it was over.

We went straight to Bronte from the vet. I was a bit bitchy and slow, but it was good to get some fresh air after my ordeal.

I'm taking it easy at home now, resting my sore paw. POOR ME.

No comments: