Wednesday, February 6, 2008

What Happens to Caterpillars in February

The human and I just got back from Bronte. It's very slushy and snowy. Yesterday, it was 8 degrees here in Burlington so all the snow we got last week was mushy and melting. Last night, there was more snow. And it's still kind of warm. Bottom line - a very mushy and wet walk. Especially in the big field we go to in the winter.

Today there was an odd surprise in the field. When I saw the first one, I thought it was a new form of poo. I checked it out, gave it a good sniff, decided it wasn't worth consuming and continued along.
The humans investigated and discovered they were caterpillars. They must have thought it was spring yesterday and come out.

I determined these green things warranted further investigation. I sniffed one. Rolled it around with my paw. Sniffed some more. Then nibbled at it - you know, like when I nibble at an itch. After a few minutes of playing and nibbling at it, I ate it.

I did the same thing with the next one I saw, except instead of eating it at the end, I peed on it.

Heh heh. Bet they wish they'd stayed home!

No comments: